Some recent changes

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at hi.is
Tue Oct 20 22:48:27 UTC 2009

On 10/20/2009 08:11 PM, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> On 10/20/2009 08:31 PM, Matthias Clasen wrote:
>> On Tue, 2009-10-20 at 17:54 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
>>> Does there exist an export/import tool for gconf database so that users
>>> that would want to keep the old/their settings can use to export them
>>> then just simply import it after upgrade/fresh install. That would keep
>>> them happy and you guy's could introduce new changes targeted at new to
>>> linux audience with less hassle..
>>>
>>> If such an tool does not exists what's the recommended way of
>>> backing up
>>> system wide/personal gconf databases so we can document that
>>> somewhere..
>>
>> I recommend gconftool-2 --help-load.
>> It is unfortunate that these options are not documented in the man page.
>>

> Is there a configuration utility to see what configuration settings
> are available et al, and maybe configure them?

gconftool-2 is the cli tool. and I guess gconf-editor the gui app ( not
installed by default ) I suppose

I'm by far some *DE expert ( @ the moment ) and there are other
components I will be digging into before any of the *DE but here's
something from my limited knowledge..

To list "keys in trees"

do for example.

gconftool-2 -R /

gconftool-2 -R / | grep nautilus etc..

changes settings

gconftool-2 --set <path> --type boolean 0 or 1 or --type string
"<string>" etc..

Have not received any reply from Matthias if this enough to back up
users settings between upgrades thou..

gconftool-2 --dump / > gconf.backup.xml # To backup everything in the
"Tree"
gconftool-2 --load gconf.backup.xml # To restore after

JBG