Interested in helping improve the Fedora desktop experience?

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 15:27:59 UTC 2009

2009/10/21 Máirín Duffy <duffy at fedoraproject.org>:
>From experience I think many users have a lot of anxiety during the
> installation process. (Did I really get everything I wanted to back up
> backed up? Is this going to screw up my computer? Am I going to make a
> mistake I can't go back and fix?) Especially coming from the windows
> world where they are used to the OS being pre-installed - they don't
> have the experience of installation to call back on. So while the
> surface-level usability issues I cited might seem minor, polishing those
> can make a big difference in making these anxious users feel more
> comfortable.

While I probably don't fall exactly into this category of user there
are a couple things that come to mind immediately that I don't like
about the install process.

The handling of media seems to be if we find it offer to use it. I
think it would be better and safer for removable media to be unchecked
(off limits by default) when it comes to setting up the disks for the
install. I'm not sure how easy or hard it might be to identify things
as usb sticks or SD cards but I do know having them eaten by accident
is very annoying.

My other quibble probably applies to very few people but I hate the
requirement to create an initial non-root user without the ability to
specify what special properties you want that user to have. For most
they can be easily modified later but for those of us who care about
the UID the user is assigned having to fix that later is another
annoyance. I miss the old "I'll make a user later" button and would
welcome and "advanced settings" button where more could be specified
about the new user.

John