Interested in helping improve the Fedora desktop experience?

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Wed Oct 21 15:39:31 UTC 2009

On Wed, 21 Oct 2009, Máirín Duffy wrote:

> Hi Seth,
>
> On 10/21/2009 11:07 AM, Seth Vidal wrote:
>> okay so when you use the word "Terrible" you really mean "somewhat
>> unpolished"?
>
>> B/c it doesn't sound to me like you're talking about massive changes to
>> the interface or experience at all. I'm glad they can make a big
>> difference but 'terrible' in my mind invokes a ground-up redo. What
>> you've described doesn't  sound like that at all.
>
> Well, I think at this point not having gone through the UIs and done a
> bit of analysis, it was probably premature of me to make a judgement
> either way on the rate of terrible or not-so-terribleness. :) It's
> unpolished at a minimum if you look the poor examples I gave.
>
> I've attached an email I received from a very technical Java developer
> writing about his F11 install experience this past weekend, after
> remembering I had it. I would qualify it as being even worse than
> terrible which is probably why the word came to mind in the first place. :(

None of that users issues seem like 'interface design' issues. They seem
entirely like 'hardware issues' followed by 'not everything works' but I
don't know how the interface design is at fault.

Is it the fault of the interface that there's an issue with X on
certain graphic cards?

I guess I'm having trouble figuring out what you want to fix here.

If the issue is the interface design - then great but I daresay the
present interface is not "terrible".

If the issue is you want all hardware to work no matter what then I  think
you're tilting at windmills.

-sv