Introduction to a new SIG for creation of Live DVD

Aditya Patawari aditya at adityapatawari.com
Mon Sep 14 12:49:12 UTC 2009

Initially I was also thinking of producing a larger image to include more
packages but after reading Colin's view I also thinking that instead of
creating a large image with all pre-installed stuff, a large image with an
internal repository can be created. It will reduce the user's need of
accessing external repository without having a lot of stuff installed which
a new user might find confusing and cluttered. It will leave the basic "try
before use" feature of the live cd will remain as it is.

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 6:04 PM, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com>wrote:

>  To clarify, what I was talking about was the fact that the
> Installation DVD is really just a continuation of what has shipped
> since time immemorial in Red Hat Linux many years ago.  It doesn't
> have any particular target.  At the same time, our Live CDs are highly
> constrained by a combination of (1) the 700 MB limit, and (2) our
> desire -- a worthy one, IMHO -- to keep them usable in as many
> languages as possible.
>
> So whenever we talk about media that includes a bunch of applications
> that users do really want, but we can't include on a CD-sized medium,
> we fall back to the DVD, which loses much of the appeal of the Live
> image.  I think the Desktop SIG has already been discussing the need
> for a larger image due to constantly having to bump out useful
> applications to stay under the CD size limit.  At the same time, the
> Installation DVD does provide a helpful testing bed for Anaconda.
>
> Mainly, I was just interested in the idea of existing SIGs feeling
> empowered to produce their Live spins for larger media, rather than
> everyone needing more applications having to fall back to the
> Installation DVD.  I'm not sure what an equally untargeted generic
> Live spin really achieves, but at the same time, if there are
> contributors interested in producing one, our spin process certainly
> permits it.
>
> --
> Paul W. Frields                                http://paul.frields.org/
>  gpg fingerprint: 3DA6 A0AC 6D58 FEC4 0233  5906 ACDB C937 BD11 3717
>  http://redhat.com/   -  -  -  -   http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/
>  irc.freenode.net: stickster @ #fedora-docs, #fedora-devel, #fredlug
>
> --

Aditya Patawari