GNOME Shell support in desktop-effects

Rakesh Pandit rakesh.pandit at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 05:03:49 UTC 2009

2009/8/24 Owen Taylor wrote:
[..]
> UI suggestions, small and large, appreciated.
>
> The dialog will be split out of the compiz-gnome package  into a
> separate package required by both compiz-gnome and gnome-shell.
>
> If compiz-gnome or gnome-shell is not installed the option is simply
> not shown. It would be neat to instead have a
[..]

This is wonderful work. I did some testing and found just one bug:

If one is in gnome-shell and wants to go to Compiz: after opening the
desktop-effects window selecting compiz on first go never works (fails
with usual message "Failed to start compiz. Reverting back to previous
settings") But if you use same window again (not yet closed) it works.

In case one presses close and again retries it is reproducible.

It short: shifting to compiz from gnome-shell on first click in
"desktop effects" always fails but using the same window again makes
it happen.

[rakesh at rocky ~]$ rpm -qa gnome-shell
gnome-shell-2.27.1-4.x86_64
[rakesh at rocky ~]$ rpm -qa desktop-effects
desktop-effects-0.8.1-1.fc12.x86_64
[rakesh at rocky ~]$

--
Rakesh Pandit