Introduction to a new SIG for creation of Live DVD

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 18:03:31 UTC 2009

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 7:20 PM, Aditya Patawari
<aditya at adityapatawari.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 9:59 PM, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> How would this be different from each LiveCD group just targeting
>> a DVD size and changing their spin appropriately?
>
> Actually instead of increasing the size and getting a cluttered install, I
> am planning to include an internal repository. After installation end user
> will get the normal live cd stuff and an inbuilt repo which can be used to
> install packages as per the need. It will reduce the need of internet and
> will also increase the package installation speed.

We should not make the install more complicated buy adding extra
questions "do you want to install foo, bar and baz?"

We should just move away from a CD where it makes sense, a spin
targeted for slower / older hardware can be CD size limited, but that
should not mean that we should live with the artificial CD limit
forever.

Also using a DVD does not necessary mean that we must fill a full DL
disk, but it will allow us to move above the 700MB limit where it
makes sense (adding stuff like OO.org or translations for the KDE spin
etc.)

But well I doubt that we will do this anytime soon, even though it
makes a lot of sense IMHO.