A new notification theme

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Tue Sep 29 14:28:17 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-09-29 at 16:19 +0200, Martin Sourada wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-09-29 at 09:20 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > The design team is busy doing backgrounds.
> The design team is doing more than just backgrounds and not everyone
> there is busy with doing the backgrounds. The design team is also
> helping with the websites design, various UI designs,... Please do not
> oversimplify what the design team actually does ;-)

Yeah, sorry. I was oversimplifying here.

> But come to thing of it, now that the alternatives are starting to "pile
> up", it would be actually great to have means to select the theme (other
> way than via whole-gnome-desktop-theme or gconf).

You mean individual theme components in general, or notification themes,
specifically ?

For individual theme components, the appearance capplet has the
"Customize" dialog which lets you change various components
individually.

That doesn't include notification themes though. The notification daemon
includes a separate theme-switching dialog, which we don't include in
our package, because it is not really worth a separate menuitem. If
somebody feels inclined to work on it, it is probably doable to add a
notification tab to the Customize dialog. I don't think it is a high
priority though. And with gnome-shell, separate notification themes may
go away altogether.

Matthias