A new notification theme

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 14:48:14 UTC 2009

> On Tue, 2009-09-29 at 16:19 +0200, Martin Sourada wrote:
> > But come to thing of it, now that the alternatives are starting to "pile
> > up", it would be actually great to have means to select the theme (other
> > way than via whole-gnome-desktop-theme or gconf).
>
> You mean individual theme components in general, or notification themes,
> specifically ?

The notification themes specifically.

> For individual theme components, the appearance capplet has the
> "Customize" dialog which lets you change various components
> individually.

Yup, I know ;-)

> That doesn't include notification themes though. The notification daemon
> includes a separate theme-switching dialog, which we don't include in
> our package, because it is not really worth a separate menuitem. If
> somebody feels inclined to work on it, it is probably doable to add a
> notification tab to the Customize dialog. I don't think it is a high
> priority though. And with gnome-shell, separate notification themes may
> go away altogether.

Aah, I read something about that at gnome planet but didn't know where
to actually find it. In the appearance capplet it would be probably
better off. As about the gnome-shell -- I'm still a bit sceptic whether
it's a step a forward or just a hindrance (I haven't tried it myself yet
and available screen-casts are suggesting the later...), but to stay on
topic, I don't like the idea of notify bubbles being inthemable, or am I
misunderstanding and the bubbles will be themable as a part of some
bigger component?

Martin