A new notification theme

William Jon McCann william.jon.mccann at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 15:13:58 UTC 2009

Hi Christoph,

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 9:00 AM, Christoph Wickert
<christoph.wickert at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 24.09.2009, 20:48 -0400 schrieb Matthias Clasen:
>> Tomorrows rawhide will have a new notification theme for Gnome.
>>
>> The aim of this new theme is to integrate well with the theming in the
>> rest of the desktop (which wasn't really the case with nodoka bubbles
>> and a clearlooks desktop).
>
> After I have seen them now I can say I think they are horrible. We could
> really argue if the Nodoka bubbles matched the rest of Nodoka, but this
> definitely matches even less.
>
> I think such changes shouldn't been done as a solo action without
> previous notice. Has the design team been aked about this? (No, Matthias
> and Jon, you are *not* the design team, sorry). Or people from the
> desktop SIG? How about other contributors?
>
> IMHO this change is also very ungrateful to Martin, who does an amazing
> job with the Nodoka theme.

So, this message is clearly a troll but I'd like to respond to a few
things anyway.

If you have any substantial and specific critique of the theme I'd
love to hear it.

We are the people involved in designing the desktop product.  Anyone
may contribute to that but there is no magic design team that needs to
be consulted before we make changes.  There are people that I think
are very good at what they do and I consult them as much as possible.
In this case in particular, there were a few different people I
consulted.  But if you wish to put labels on things - yes we are the
desktop design team.

I have no idea why anyone would think that we're ungrateful to Martin
because of this.  I'm pretty sure Martin wouldn't think this either.
However, he probably doesn't prefer the new design over his - why
would he?  There are going to be differences in opinion like this.  It
is only natural.  He has been notably constructive in his messages so
far.

At the end of the day we need to stand up and take responsibility for
the end result.  To make sure things fit together coherently.   That
doesn't mean that these decisions occur in a vacuum or that we don't
need a heck of a lot of help.  Nothing is ever final.

For now, Matthias and I have assumed the (often difficult)
responsibility of trying to fit all our shit together in a way that
doesn't totally suck.  We *do* need your help to do that.  But that
doesn't mean that we're going to avoid making the often difficult
choices - it is critical that we do.

So, let's try to keep focus on what we are all trying to achieve here.
 By the way have you tried the latest Ubuntu nightly? It isn't half
bad.  Snow Leopard?  Doesn't suck.  Windows 7 - yeah I could use that.

Jon