Thoughts on updates

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 09:26:04 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 7:07 AM, William Jon McCann
<william.jon.mccann at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Since it has come up recently, I figured I'd briefly mention that some
> people in the desktop team, QE, and release engineering had a few
> lunchtime chats about our update process.  I tried to write down some
> of what we talked about:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Desktop/Whiteboards/UpdateExperience
>
> I later found out that there are a number of different initiatives
> underway that may help with this problem.  So, that is good news.
>
> Interested to hear your thoughts.

"#  System updates must fix critical bugs or security vulnerabilities only "

Well there should be one exception for this: Adding support for new
hardware (ie. kernel rebase).
The reason is that if we don't do that the user have to either wait
until the next release to be able to use the his/her hardware or go
googling for how to compile the specifi driver by hand.

Both aren't really a great user expirence.