[fedora-java] Should java-1.4.2-gcj-compat require xerces-j2?

David Walluck david at zarb.org
Thu Aug 4 13:45:02 UTC 2005

Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net> wrote:

> It's very possible the ldap is only there for compliance with some spec,
> and tomcat code has no use for it.

I mean, ldapjdk does not provide javax.naming.*, and I don't think that the
jndi-ldap virtual package was meant for service providers (or was it?), in
which case java-gcj-compat should provide jndi-ldap since it has
javax.naming.*.

And tomcat5 does require those classes to build. So (Build)Requires: jndi-ldap
is okay. It probably also could use ldapjdk at runtime, but this would only be
a suggested package requirement.

The problem is that these classes are supposedly contained in
jndi-ldap.jar but
this never gets added to the classpath. It turns out that it works in practice
since everyone has this in their jndi.jar which is set in a property file.

--
Sincerely,

David Walluck
<david at zarb.org>