[fedora-java] su to tomcat user?

John M. Gabriele john_sips_tea at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 9 02:04:24 UTC 2005

I noticed there's a tomcat user on my system:

[root at localhost ~]# cat /etc/passwd | grep tom
tomcat:x:91:91:Tomcat:/usr/share/tomcat5:/bin/sh

I'm just getting started using Tomcat on FC4.

Should I be su'ing to tomcat to work with files
in (and copy files into) /var/lib/tomcat5?

Or do I work in there as root, then chown -R
everthing to root:tomcat when I'm done?

And why are there links in the tomcat user's
home directory (/usr/share/tomcat5) pointing to
all the relevant tomcat5 directories?

As usual, I'm writing out my notes and leaving
them lying around in case they might be useful for
someone else:
http://www.simisen.com/jmg/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Main.SimpleServlet

---John