[fedora-java] Re: [jonas-team] Monolog on gcj

Vadim Nasardinov vadimn at redhat.com
Fri Aug 19 15:35:54 UTC 2005

On Friday 19 August 2005 11:20, Andrew Haley wrote:
>  > This responsibility should most certainly not be born by the
>  > LoggerFactory class.
>
> I don't think that makes sense, because PropertiesConfAccess might
> well die before the clients call LoggerFactory.getLogger().
>
> The method getLoggerFactory() calls PropertiesConfAccess.load(),
> which does
>
>         new PropertiesConfAccess().read(prop, mf, mf, mf);
>
> so, the instance of PropertiesConfAccess is dead even before the
> method LoggerFactory.getLogger() returns.

This doesn't change the fact that LoggerFactory is the wrong place to
intervene.  All this says is that the PropertiesConfAccess (PCA)
instance may have to be kept undead.  Or, it says that the PCA, before
dying a quiet death, has to return the newly instantiated collection
of loggers to whoever made the call to the PCA so that they -- the
caller -- can decide whether or not they want to keep said loggers
around.

Whatever the right patch turns out to be, the one we have on the table
right now is certainly not it.

That said, I don't really care if Monolog leaks memory.  If everyone
else is happy with the patch, then so be it.

P.S. I've removed fedora-devel-java-list from the Cc list to avoid
followups that seem be off-topic for fedora-java.