[fedora-java] How to debug a Tomcat5 servlet on Fedora

Gary Benson gbenson at redhat.com
Tue Dec 13 10:14:14 UTC 2005

Ryan McDougall wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-12-13 at 12:04 +0900, Ryan McDougall wrote:
> > My question is how can I tease out enough information to discover
> > what the problem is?
>
> Ive just discovered /var/log/tomcat5/catalina.out (of course sitting
> right there in front of me the whole time! grr), which actually has
> error messages worth reading:

catalina.out is your friend :)

> Which shows the culprit is
> > <url-pattern>/myservlet/*.do</url-pattern>
>
> which changed to the less interesting
> <url-pattern>/myservlet</url-pattern>
> will allow it to deploy.
>
> For the benefit of those that google after me, does anyone want to
> explain why the first patten wont work, or offer up any further
> debugging tips?

The exception is being thrown because a call to the validateURLPattern
method of org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext failed.  Patterns
that start with "/" may not contain "*.", and patterns that start with
"*." may not contain "/".

Why that should be the case I have no idea...

Cheers,
Gary