[fedora-java] Eclipse and Tomcat - where?

Fernando Lozano fernando at lozano.eti.br
Tue Dec 20 19:30:13 UTC 2005

Hi Daniel,

First, you need to tell the list which plug-in you are using to run web
apps inside Tomcat. The Eclipse SDK per se does not provide this
capability, so you do have something else besides Eclipse and Tomcat.
This plug-in may have specific requirements regarding yout Tomcat
installation that may not be met by Fedora Tomcat installation, and this
would be the plug-in fault as Fedora Tomcat works out-of-the-box and the
Eclipse help system, which is based on Tomcat, also works fine.

About the requirement of running under root (or the tomcat user) it s a
common requirement with server software under Linux. Running Tomcat
using the default configuration provided by Fedora Core may need write
access to some directories witch are owned by a system user, so you
cannot start it using your regular user account, the same way you cannot
start apache, sendmail or samba using your regular user accoint. Maybe
to satisfy your plug-in needs you'll need to provide a different Tomcat
installation under your home dir.

The standard Tomcat installation does not comply with Linux best
practices of isolating read-only directoryes (like program executables
and libraries) from read-write directories (like logs and config files)
and so Fedora Tomcat uses a different file system layout. Your plug-in
may not be able to accept /usr/share/tomcat5 as a Tomcat installation
directory because not all Tomcat files are there.

[]s, Fernando Lozano