[fedora-java] Eclipse and Tomcat

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Wed Dec 21 00:50:43 UTC 2005

Hi Folks,

Has anyone gotten Eclipse and Tomcat working at all?  Seems
from google that this has not been working as far as I can tell.

I started focusing on getting Tomcat to run and as far as I can
tell, out of the box, tomcat5 fails to start.

The first thing I noticed was that tomcat tries to start as a tomcat4
user -- tomcat4 on a tomcat v5.0 release?  Heh!  There already a
tomcat user in the /etc/password file so I changed all places where
tomcat4 user was located.  In /etc/initd.d/tomcat and in
/etc/tomcat5/tomcat5.conf

Then I tried to start it again - nope it fails.  It breaks because apparently
for java v1.50 which I have installed, tomcat does not even know where
to find jta.jar file.  Sheesh - it looks like this file was not included because
of licensing issues?  Since I had java v1.4 installed, and the jta.jar was found
at /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.4.2-gcj-..., I simply copied it to /var/lib/tomcat5/common/lib
directory and deleted the [jta].jar broken link.  Then I ran /etc/init.d/tomcat5 and
now it appears to run with no errors (as far as I can tell).

Now - what port is tomcat running on so that I can see if it is running!  Well, it is
not port 80 nor port 8080 (I am running apache at 80, and there is nothing at
8080)

I cannot seem to find a tomcat listener in netstat -a so I cannot tell if tomcat is running
successfully or not!?!?

Can anyone give me any pointers as to how to locate what port tomcat might be
running at?

Thanks!
Dan