[fedora-java] Eclipse and Tomcat

Fernando Lozano fernando at lozano.eti.br
Wed Dec 21 03:15:47 UTC 2005

Hi Daniel,

I guess it'll be easier for you to download tomcat from
jakarta.apache.org and unzip it in your home dir. Then you'll get a
default Tomcat installation your plug-in (which one, by the way? Sysdeo?
WebApp? Lomboz?) will be able to use and you won't have troubles with
filesystem permissions and TCP port numbers.

It will also be easier for you to download and install Sun JDK instead
of using the GCJ-based JDK that cames with Fedora. Yes, the Java
environment you get with Fedora is quite different from the one you get
with Windows, you'll take some time to learn how to use and configure
it. And some plug-ins may not work inside a GCJ-based Eclipse environment.

It looks you are mixing up native GCJ libraries and standard Java
bytecodes, that'sa why I think it'll be easier to start with Sun JDK and
a standard Tomcat download, and not using Fedora RPM packages.

Don't forget also to check your firewall settings (iptables) and SELinux
configuration. Try "iptables -F" and "setenforce 0" as root to check if
those are preventing you from connecting to Tomcat.

[]s, Fernando Lozano