[fedora-java] newbie question - Tomcat 4 instead of Tomcat 5 on FC4

Bob Hartung rwhart at mchsi.com
Wed Dec 21 05:45:10 UTC 2005

Hi,
   If I am in the wrong list please advise me of such.  I am trying to
install the MIRC server from the Radiological Society of North America.
  This calls for java 1.4 (installed) and Tomcat 4.x.

   I am running FedoraCore4 which has Tomcat 5 installed and the MIRC
software (a Radiology Teaching File/Research Case database product) will
not run under Tomcat 5 at the present.  I therefore need to have Tomcat
4 installed which I can do from the tar.gz.  However, how can I make
sure that the Tomcat 5 installation is not called or do the tar.gz files
usually have files I can copy to /etc/init.d to use to start the Tomcat
4 service on boot?

   Sorry if this is a dumb question, but as a newbie I am somewhat
overwhelmed with the terminology associated with Java in all of its clothes.

Thanks,

Bob Hartung