[fedora-java] Eclipse and Tomcat

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Wed Dec 21 21:57:10 UTC 2005

Ken,

Please note that I am NOT flaming you.  Just the person/team that
provided the Tomcat "port" for Fedora.  They should be flamed badly.

I have pretty much given up trying to get tomcat running with Fedora's
version.  It seems that there are just too many problems with this
version - and this was stated in several sites talking about it.

I have downloaded tomcat binaries from apache's website, installed it in
/usr/local directory, chown tomcat:tomcat the tomcat-5.5.12 directory
and simply ran /usr/bin/dtomcat and tomcat started up with no errors as
far as I can see.  Finally - I can now see tomcat's index.jsp and my own
index.html file in my web browser.

I believe whomever created this tomcat version for Fedora has got
some explaining to do.  This is a horrible piece of junk, horrible
waste of my time, and files moved all over the place that is it a
major cause of confusion which departs from apache's standard
configuration and installation.  Heck, I cannot even simply define
JAVA_HOME and find the binaries!!!  Sheesh!!

If anyone can point me to ONE definitive installation guide/faq that
explains PRECISELY how to get tomcat running on FC4 from the original
distro - please do!  Nothing I tried so far even works!  Yes, I got
tomcat to "run" with a LOT OF WASTED TIME, and I was not able to get
past the tomcat-user.xml file where it is trying to copy *some original
file* to tomcat-user.xml.old and this causes *something* to throw an
exception and on top of that fails to locate or serve any pages.  It
just spins it's wheels forever.

I just cannot understand why Eclipse w/ Tomcat fails out of the box.
This whole thing reminds me of M$ announcing a product when the product
is not close to working just prevent customers from buying someone else's
brand.

Sheesh - what a piece of ****!

Now... I have yet to get Eclipse to work in conjunction with Tomcat.
We'll see how THAT goes....

Dan