[fedora-java] Eclipse and Tomcat

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Fri Dec 23 20:44:41 UTC 2005

>From: Andrew Overholt [mailto:overholt at redhat.com]
>Sent: Friday, December 23, 2005 6:46 AM
>To: Daniel B. Thurman
>Subject: RE: [fedora-java] Eclipse and Tomcat
>

>Hi,
>
>Why didn't you send this to the list?

What list are you referring to?  Are you talking
about the fedora-java newsgroup?  If this is the case,
when I replied to all, the fedora-java list was not there
so I assumed it was a private message.  If you wish to
forward this message to the group, I won't object at all :-)
In fact, I added it myself in reply to this message.

>On Thu, 2005-12-22 at 15:01 -0800, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
>> >We really need to know what Eclipse plugin it is that is
>providing this
>> >"Dynamic Web Project" functionality.  It is not part of the SDK or
>> >anything we ship so please tell us where we can get it.
>>
>> Um..  I will try to explain best as I can, but I believe that
>> the J2EE component already comes with the Fedora Eclipse?  If
>> not, then make sure that you have done an update, i.e.:
>
>It does not "come with" the Eclipse SDK.  Eclipse is a giant collection
>of plugins and we ship a relevant subset.
>
>> If you want JBOSS, Add:
>> Name JBOSS
>> [...]
>> Then check what you want then  and click 'Finish'
>>
>> If this does not work, then you can to to:
>> http://eclipse.org/downloads/index_project.php
>>
>> Select J2EE Standard tools
>> WST - Web Standars Tools
>
>You're not being very clear here.  Is the tomcat stuff you're trying to
>get working part of the Web Tools Project or part of whatever
>this JBoss
>stuff is (I know it's not part of the CDT ;) .

I am simply telling you what is on my Eclipse update list is so it
is up to you.  I have WTP 0.7.1 plugin installed and this has J2EE
of which the 'Dynamic Web' component is a part of it.  You can check
to see if you can open the J2EE perspective if you have it, otherwise
you can download and install the WTP 0.7.1 (or WTP 1.0) where your
Eclipse directory is installed. Note: Look at the contents of the zipped
(or tar.gz) file to ensure you know how/where it will be installed.  You
do not install inside of your eclipse directory but rather just one
directory up of the eclipse directory.

>From what Fedora users have told me, Eclipse does not come with
Tomcat so you have to download and manually install it yourself.
I believe Eclipse by default has the Tomcat and other plugins
but you will still need to download/install Tomcat (from JPackage
or from Apache) before you use Eclipse with it.

For Fedora, I had used the original distro FC4, added JPackage yum
support, did yum update/installs and this was how I was able to
get (a broken) tomcat5 (and other java-centric software support)
installed. Since the yum updates pulled "everything in", I could not
tell you if WTP 0.7.1 was orgignally from the distro, was part of
the JPackage update or if I manually installed it.

I have however installed WTP 0.7.1 manually on the Windows platform
and I can tell you it is very simple to install - you just unpack it
where the eclipse directory is installed but not in this directory.
This simply lays over and on top of the current directory. Please
check with the installation guidelines to be sure.

>> And manually install these per recommendation online,
>> as it is pretty simple.
>>
>> Let me know if any of these work for you.
>
>Once we get some more information, I might be able to give it a try.

Go to http://www.eclipse.org and click on 'Projects' and then there
on that page is a 'Eclipse Web Tools Platform Project' link and click
this link if you want more information or if you want to get WTP 0.7.1.
Otherwise, click on: 'Download 1.0 now!' link to get to the download page
and in this page, click: 'wtp-1.0.zip'.  Note, that the SDK is there also.

If you choose to get the "0.7.1" "all-in-one", then this is the full-blown
eclipse vanilla package - which is probably not what you want.  If you
just want the plug-ins - choose: wtp-0.7.1.tar.gz and this is to be installed
where your eclipse is installed - and do NOT install in the eclipse directory
but one directory up.

This here is a disclaimer so please understand that I do not know
the aims of Fedora nor how they go about reorganizing things involving
Eclipse or Tomcat - so ask around and see if these steps are even recommended
because they are using gcj (or whatever it is they are doing, as I don't
know).  My guess is that in theory, you can download Vanilla Eclipse and
it should run.  But don't hold my feet to the fire if I am wrong.  I am
currently just trying Eclipse on Fedora - as my primary work is being
done in a Windows environment.

>> >P.S. It would be nice if you could configure your mail client to do
>> >proper threading.
>>
>> How man... I am using Microsoft Outlook 2000 SP3 and I have not
>> for the life of me figured out why it is not properly threading
>> the email messages.  I will have to contact a MS group for that
>> answer unless you know the secret! :-)
>
>Sorry, I haven't used a MS mail client in years.  It's not a big
>deal ... just would be nice.
>
>Good luck and happy holidays,
>
>Andrew

Cheers!