[fedora-java] Eclipse and Tomcat - where?

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Tue Dec 20 18:59:59 UTC 2005

Tomcat is a java servlet application server and yet developers
using eclipse are doing development work so why should it be a
"root" requirement to run and/or start it? Sure beats me...

But in any case and from what I can tell, no matter what I enter into
the "Tomcat installation directory" textbox, the eclipse program
keeps saying that the directory provided is not a valid tomcat installation
directory and will not allow me to continue.  I have used eclipse on windows
for awhile and tomcat (or other server) selections runs fine - "root" or not
and it even "installs" the server (along with Sun's version of their app server
w/ DB support) which makes it pleasant for developers so why not follow the same
pathway for linux-based developers? Why force configuration make us jump through
hoops when all "we" care about is to develop applications? I *should* be able to
choose *any* AS with Eclipse under Linux?

Anyone care to jump in and tell me how to get tomcat started under
Eclipse's control?

Dan