[fedora-java] Java Package Naming

Carwyn Edwards carwyn at carwyn.com
Thu Feb 24 03:07:00 UTC 2005

I'm in the process of coming up with a package naming policy for our
internal use hence I've been reading these kinds of things:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageNamingGuidelines
http://svn.rpmforge.net/svn/trunk/docs/naming-policy.txt

I've come up with a plan for dealing with FC, Extras and RPMforge and
the like, but then I started thinking about JPackage. I have some questions:

Q1. What are Fedora planning to do in relation to release tag naming and
jpp packages?

At the moment Rawhide is using <jpp version>jpp_<fc version>(fc|rh).
This seems a little at odds with the draft Fedora naming guidelines (I
know they've only just been written in draft :-)).

The motivation for this question is to do with our desire to ship local
modifications to jpp packages and still have a sensible upgrade path. Up
to now I've been able to simply tack on a suffix to the jpp version. If
however another upstream repo (FC) is also using the suffix approach
then things start to get interesting :-) (1jpp_3fc vs 1jpp.1.local)

Q2. Are Fedora going to feed packages upstream as a priority then tweak
them for their local purposes afterwards? Another way of asking this is
- will FC Java packages that could also end up in JPackage always going
to have a Xjpp prefix in the release tag? If not then things like this
can happen:

javafoo-1.2.3-1 (RH put this in fc)
javafoo-1.2.3-1jpp (pushed upstream)
.. then RH want to update javafoo:
javafoo-1.2.3-1jpp_1fc ??

Actually this works, but I guess it would be nice to define it.

I have some ideas on this (dropping the underscores for one) but thought
I'd ask first :-)

Carwyn