[fedora-java] FC4: Howto change tge JDK

Keith Sharp kms at passback.co.uk
Sun Jul 17 10:42:43 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-07-16 at 18:46 -0600, C.F. Scheidecker Antunes wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Before FC4 I used to install SUN's or IBM's JDK and have a syslink under
> /usr/bin for java and javac. Not only that but I had them installed
> under /opt and then have the /etc/profile changed to have all from
> /opt/java/bin on the PATH.
>
> Now, they have done a whole total different deal with FC4. The jdk is
> configured such that there are even links under /etc/
>
> What would be advisable in order to have a different JDK under FC4? I
> would like to get ride of the one that came with it.

Use the nosrc packages from the JPackage project to create and install
an RPM of the JDK you wish to use.  I have done this successfully for
the Sun JDK 1.5.

JPackage is at:

	http://www.jpackage.org

and the Sun JDK 1.5 nosrc RPM is at:

	http://www.jpackage.org/rpm.php?id=2663

the IBM JDK 1.4 nosrc RPM is at:

	http://www.jpackage.org/rpm.php?id=2096

Instructions for converting a nosrc RPM into a binary RPM:

	http://www.jpackage.org/rebuilding.php

Keith.