[fedora-java] Java on Fedora faq

John M. Gabriele john_sips_tea at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 26 16:10:27 UTC 2005

--- Gary Benson <gbenson at redhat.com> wrote:

> John M. Gabriele wrote:
> > It's starting to come along. :)
> >
> > http://www.simisen.com/jmg/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Main.JavaOnFedora
> >
> > Comments?
>
> Firstly that the company I work for is called "Red Hat" :)
> That's two words, both capitalized.

Red Hat is mis-written on the 'Net about as often as "separate" is
misspelled there. :)

> Also that the Java runtime we ship is "libgcj" and the Java compiler
> we use is called "ecj".

Thanks. I'll look at the man page when I get home (no FC here at work).
I always thought that the "gcj" program was the front-end to the "gcc"
program...

> | On the other hand, note that Eclipse comes with FC4 and runs well
>
> I don't think Eclipse uses Swing, does it?

You're right -- that sentence didn't belong in there.

> | getting Sun's Java to coexist with GNU's Java on Fedora sounds like
> | a pretty prickly problem to me.
>
> They should coexist just fine.

Ok.

> | yum list | grep -i classpath
>
> The packages called classpath* are not themselves classpath.
>
> Cheers,
> Gary

Which *are* the Classpath packages?

Is there a sharp distinction between the GCJ packages and
the Classpath packages?

Thanks,
---J