[fedora-java] Re: Java on Fedora faq

Gary Benson gbenson at redhat.com
Wed Jul 27 09:11:44 UTC 2005

Robin Green wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 08:02:12 -0700, John M. Gabriele wrote:
> > How do I use Tomcat?
>
> Very briefly: "service tomcat4 start" or "service tomcat5 start"
> will start tomcat.

Not "service tomcat4 start" -- we only ship tomcat5.

> [Footnote 1] - I found a bug in AspectJ yesterday which only
> appeared under libgcj, but *wasn't* a libgcj bug. It was a latent
> bug in AspectJ that was only exposed by a slightly different, but
> still valid, collection class implementation in libgcj. So it's not
> logically valid to assume that a bug that only occurs on libgcj is
> necessarily a bug *in* libgcj.

This kind of thing happens all the time.  The Java specification can
be quite loose, and often things will because applications rely on
unspecified defaults or behaviours that libgcj's (correct, as per the
spec) implementation does not provide.

Cheers,
Gary