[fedora-java] Re: Replacing FC4 Free Java with SUN's Java

Ian Pilcher i.pilcher at comcast.net
Wed Jul 27 12:41:55 UTC 2005

Robin Green wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 21:24:26 -0500, Ian Pilcher wrote:
>
>>Will Fedora's OpenOffice work with other JVM's?
>
> Yes. In fact, it will work better with a Sun JVM. The Java code in
> OpenOffice.org was originally written with a Sun JVM in mind, and work
> needs to be done to bring OO.o and libgcj into full compatibility (last I
> heard).

If that's the case, openoffice.org-core shouldn't specifically require
libgcj, which it currently does.

It should require something more general, such as:

   Requires:  java >= 1.4.2

which is provided by java-1.4.2-gcj-compat.

And it should conflict with non-Sun JVMs:

   Conflicts:  java-kaffe, java-ibm, java-bea, java-blackdown

(java-1.5.0-sun provides java-sun; I'm assuming that the other JVM RPMs
on JPackage have similar provides.)

Let me know if this is correct.  If it is, I'll bugzilla it.

Ian Pilcher                                        i.pilcher at comcast.net