[fedora-java] Re: Odd ClassNotFoundException with RSSOwl

David Walluck david at zarb.org
Wed Jul 27 14:14:46 UTC 2005

Fernando Lozano <fernando at lozano.eti.br> wrote:

> This jar package should contain no compiled code, be it bytecodes or
> native code. It should contain only message files and other resources
> like icons. So it's as good as a source tarball.

Sort of. I am gald to see that fc now uses tomcat5 with eclipse, but
previously
it used tomcat4. Even though tomcat4 code is free, it could not be
built with a
free compiler, so no one could reproduce it. Being able to rebuild and
reproduce
things, including jars even when they only contain like text files, is still
important from my point of view. Otherwise, you must rely on upstream to
provide you with a binary jar from some unknown location (which may or may not
contain binary files within it). So the issue has to do with reproducability
and reliance, not what the file necessarily contains.

Anyway, I am fairly confident this jar can be reconstructed out of the
CVS URL I
gave in a previous message.

--
Sincerely,