[fedora-java] New Eclipse RPMs

Peter Backlund peter.backlund at home.se
Tue Mar 1 15:08:00 UTC 2005

fre 2005-02-25 klockan 11:48 -0500 skrev Andrew Overholt:
>Hi,
>
>I'm having some platform and other issues building these in the build
>system, so in the meantime if anyone wants to try what will become the new
>3.1-series RPMs:
>
>http://people.redhat.com/overholt/eclipse/rpms/

First of all, I just want to say that I've run those rpms too, and they
work well. Team Synchronization Perspective now works, which is a big
improvment over 3.0.1.

I'd like to know why gij is needed at all, when Eclipse is (supposedly)
compiled into a native binary? I noticed that both .jar and .so are
shipped with the eclipse-* rpms. Is there a document explaining this
strategy anywhere, or could you elaborate a little on this here on the
list? I'm guessing it has to do with run-time loading of bytecode
plugins?

/Peter Backlund