[fedora-java] New Eclipse stuff in rawhide

Ben Konrath bkonrath at redhat.com
Sun Mar 6 06:36:36 UTC 2005

Hi Phil/Anthony,

On Sat, 2005-05-03 at 22:04 -0600, Phil Muldoon wrote:
> We have to make some alterations to the assumptions that those releng
> plug-ins make (they make the assumption that it is okay to cvs co -r
> {tag} the code right at build time - we disagree, due to various
> security/code quality/infrastructure issues); they also attempt to
> download an upstream Eclipse SDK to build against - again we disagreed
> and disabled. These changes are applied as a patch against the
> sdk/customTargets.xml, and the platform/customTargets.xml

Just one small correction, an Eclipse releng plugin will not try to
download the SDK. You are expected to have an SDK downloaded and
unpacked before you start a build. So the only thing that needs to be
disabled is the fetch target of the releng build.xml.

> We've been debating this build approach (the pde builds) for awhile. Is
> it is good approach? That's up for debate; we've talked about changing
> it. Ben Konrath has been experimenting with a different build approach.
> Once the dust settles on test 1, this would be a good place to debate
> alternate build methods that a) don't stray too far away from the
> upstream build process and make it painful to integrate; b) allow
> friendlier third party building outside of rpm that does not require a
> week's learning about the pde build method.

I have a solution already in mind but it will take some upstream
changes. I've done a bit of work towards this but I haven't had time to
finish it off. If it's important, I can try bugging the Eclipse people
again and see if I can get some traction.

In case your interested, here's how I generated the cdt 2.1 tarball
(unfortunately it doesn't build against eclipse 3.1M5a):

% mkdir temp && cd temp
% /usr/share/eclipse/buildscripts/copy-platform SDK /usr/share/eclipse
% mkdir home
% cvs -d :pserver:anonymous at dev.eclipse.org:/home/tools co -r CDT_2_1 \
     org.eclipse.cdt-releng/org.eclipse.cdt.releng
% cd org.eclipse.cdt-releng/org.eclipse.cdt.releng
% sed --in-place 's/HEAD/CDT_2_1/' maps/cdt.map
% java -cp ../../SDK/startup.jar org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main \
    -application org.eclipse.ant.core.antRunner \
    -buildfile build.xml \
    -Dpde.build.scripts=../../SDK/plugins/org.eclipse.pde.build_3.1.0/scripts \
    -Duser.home=../../home \
    -DjavacFailOnError=true \
    -DdontUnzip=true \
    -DmapVersionTag=CDT_2_1 \
    -v fetch
% cd .. && tar zcf eclipse-cdt-fetched-src-2.1.tar.gz org.eclipse.cdt.releng

This method should work with other plugins on eclipse.org. If you have
any question, feel free to ping me.

Cheers, Ben