[fedora-java] New Eclipse stuff in rawhide

Phil Muldoon pmuldoon at redhat.com
Tue Mar 8 18:27:46 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-08 at 11:13 -0700, Tom Tromey wrote:

> Phil> Anybody else in the community have any comments on this, or other
> Phil> proposals? I'd like to get the ball rolling on this, and we can maybe
> Phil> get the implementation working before May and the final Fedora 4
> Phil> release.
>
> I think the key point is that whatever we do has to be supported by
> eclipse.org.  Any other way means maintaining our own build system.

It's going to have to work with releng plug-ins then, as that is their
build approach. Releng plug-ins produce tarballs now on a Linux
platform, so we are halfway there.  The releng plug-ins are fairly
atomic in nature too, so it is all good. This is completely different to
how jpackage.org build eclipse-* rpms, so pick one or the other I guess.

> Ideally building an RPM for an Eclipse plug-in should be nearly
> completely automatic.  I don't see why we couldn't achieve this... but
> it depends on upstream cooperation.

Ben has some patches on eclipse.org (Ben can you post the direct link
here), but I don't think it has seen any eclipse maintainer traffic. :(

In building the RPM, are you proposing the the releng plug-in should
deliver an RPM, or just a tarball like it delivers now? I can see merit
in both ways, but how we would be add on all the %post/%postun stuff,
and the actual jar -> so building bits on an automatic releng approach?
All that stuff is pretty Fedora specific.

If it is as it is now, the SPEC files for eclipse-* are totally generic
in nature (were written that way), so it is sort of automatic. Not
automatic enough, though ;)

Regards

Phil