[fedora-java] tomcat5

Tue Mar 8 19:11:54 UTC 2005

Le mardi 08 mars 2005 à 11:34 -0700, Tom Tromey a écrit :

> Anthony> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root     38 Mar  8 06:40 [jdbc-stdext].jar -> /could/not/find/extension/for/this/jvm
> Anthony> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root     38 Mar  8 06:40 [jndi].jar -> /could/not/find/extension/for/this/jvm
>
> Anthony> Bah.  Ok, the java-1.4.2-gcj-compat spec file says:
> Anthony> Provides:       jndi, jdbc-stdext
> Anthony> So, do we need to play tricks for these, like I suggested for jta?
>
> When I look at my JDK installs, I don't see separate jdbc or jndi jars.
> Did something change here?  (This machine is still on FC2...)
> Plus, afaik, jndi is in j2se.

Tomcat5 was originally packaged for java 1.3.x - at that time jdbc and
jndi lived outside the JVM. It's a testament to the framework strength
that the same package works without changes on java 1.4.x.

I agree now that all the JVMs JPackage supports include these bits both
the requires and the symlinks seeds could be removed from the package.

You have to remember though things move in-jvm every release and it's
mightily nice to be able to hide these changes from the packages so you
don't have to rewrite specs all the time (and you can use the same
packages with a 1.x.y jvm and a 1.x+1.z jvm - think when Red Hat
includes preview versions of the next gcc release along the current one
in RHEL or FC)

Of course pass must be able to use either the old out-of-jvm jar or the
new in-jvm one without rebuild. This is usually the case for big
projects like Tomcat.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot