[fedora-java] latest gcj (gcc4) and OOo 1.9.84 news

Caolan McNamara caolanm at redhat.com
Thu Mar 10 14:13:17 UTC 2005

I did another round of testing to see what additionally works or doesn't
in OOo2 with gcj from gcc4, and its big progress, which is most
excellent. I've enabled the new stuff which is working in OOo workspace
gcj3. There are a handful of remaining problems, various temporary
workaround patches and testcases where applicable at
http://people.redhat.com/caolanm/java/

1. ooo patched rhino fails to build with gcj

tar xvzf rhino15R4.tar.gz
cd rhino1_5R4/
patch -p3 < ../rhino1_5R4.patch
ant -Dbuild.compiler=gcj -f build.xml

ERROR in
rhino1_5R4/toolsrc/org/mozilla/javascript/tools/debugger/Main.java (at
line 449)
[javac]     int pos = viewToModel(new Point(popup.x, popup.y));

the scripting module also depends on this rhino module
submitted as rh#150772#. I bet this is trivial to fix.

2. complicated problem I don't understand in wizards component
registration :-(
        submitted as rh#150650#
        temp ooo side wizards.workaround.patch to get past registration

3. canvas module fails to compile
        a missing "java.awt.Frame.createBufferStrategy" implementation ?

4. gcj's libjawt contains a reference to undefined
LINK_ReallyLinkKnownClass
        Thomas Fitzsimmons is taking care of it.
        temp ooo side libjawt.workaround.patch to not checkdll bean for
gcj, this is a relatively trivial thing as well.

---- unimportant stuff ----

5. sandbox uses sun.applet.AppletAudioClip and other sun.foo classes,
not important, its really a deprecated module

6. sj2 uses some sandbox things so some parts cannot be built,
apparently this module is being cleaned up to remove some of this, again
not important.