[fedora-java] [Patch] Improving gcj-dbtool performance

Ziga Mahkovec ziga.mahkovec at klika.si
Fri Mar 11 09:14:48 UTC 2005

I noticed that installing the eclipse-* packages takes really long
(around 10 minutes on my laptop).  Most of time is spent running gcj-
dbtool, doing lots of disk IO.

This seemed a bit unusual and after inspecting the gcj-dbtool sources, I
found out that in resizeMap(), a new PersistentByteMap is created for
each jar package that is added -- amounting to almost 150 several-MB
temporary files created.  I don't think this was intentional.

The attached patch cuts my installation time for eclipse-platform from
7m17s to 1m35s.  I've verified that eclipse.db is identical to the old
database, so hopefully the patch doesn't break anything.

--
Ziga