[fedora-java] [Patch] Improving gcj-dbtool performance

Ziga Mahkovec ziga.mahkovec at klika.si
Fri Mar 11 13:37:20 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-03-11 at 11:30 +0000, Andrew Haley wrote:
> Ziga Mahkovec writes:
>  > And somehow a single map seems like a cleaner solution.  But those
>  > are minor issues.  Any improvement over the current situation would
>  > help.
>
> It should be just fine.  Try it.
>
> When used as I describe, almost all of the time is spent reading the
> jar files, not creating the maps.  There's nothing you can do about
> the maps that will make the process any faster.  When building jonas,
> which has 28871 classes in 239 jar files, the whole process takes
> 1m1.140s on my box.

Sounds great, thanks for all the clarifications!

Just one final question (I promise (-:).  Would it be possible (and make
sense) to move the "gcj-dbtool -a" stage from %post to %install?  I'm
thinking the build system has enough information to compile the map --
when installing the package, only merging would then take place.  This
would offload most of the disk IO to the build system.

--
Ziga