[fedora-java] failing jar compilation

Andrew Overholt overholt at redhat.com
Tue Mar 15 17:36:27 UTC 2005

Hi,

Eclipse has now changed their build procedures to bootstrap like so:

 A. build ecj itself with a pre-existing java compiler
 B. build ecj with output 1.
 C. use output of 2. to build rest of Eclipse

We've modified like this:

 1. a. build "franken-ecj" with gcj -C
    b. natively-compile 1a.
 2. a. use output of 1. to build ecj a la A. above
    b. natively-compile 2a.
 3. a. use output of 2. to build ecj a la B. above
    b. natively-compile 3b.
 4. use output of 3. to build rest of Eclipse

However, with both gcc head and our latest gcc-java RPMs
(gcc-java-4.0.0-0.33), 3b. is failing for me:

  $ gcj -fPIC -fjni -findirect-dispatch -shared -Wl,-Bsymbolic -o ecj.withecj.jar.so ecj.withecj.jar
  org/eclipse/jdt/core/CheckDebugAttributes.java: In class 'org.eclipse.jdt.core.CheckDebugAttributes':
  org/eclipse/jdt/core/CheckDebugAttributes.java: In constructor '()':
  org/eclipse/jdt/core/CheckDebugAttributes.java:0: error: verification failed at PC=5: premature end of bytecode
  org/eclipse/jdt/core/CheckDebugAttributes.java:0: error: verification failed at PC=6: premature end of bytecode
  org/eclipse/jdt/core/CheckDebugAttributes.java:0: error: verification failed at PC=6: branch to middle of instruction
  org/eclipse/jdt/core/CheckDebugAttributes.java:0: error: verification failed at PC=5: premature end of bytecode
  org/eclipse/jdt/core/CheckDebugAttributes.java:0: error: verification failed at PC=6: premature end of bytecode
  org/eclipse/jdt/core/CheckDebugAttributes.java:0: error: verification failed at PC=7: stack sizes differ
  org/eclipse/jdt/core/CheckDebugAttributes.java:0: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault

As opposed to:

  $ gcj -fPIC -fjni -findirect-dispatch -shared -Wl,-Bsymbolic -o ecj.withjavac.jar.so ecj.withjavac.jar
  $

Anyone have any ideas?  I've put the two jars at [1] until I can narrow it
down for a proper bug report.

Andrew

[1]
http://people.redhat.com/overholt/ecj.withecj.jar