[fedora-java] db merging script

Tom Tromey tromey at redhat.com
Fri Mar 25 18:33:43 UTC 2005

>> If it isn't too unwieldy, I would like to see this whole section
>> replaced by a single call to some shell script to automate the
>> find-compile-db loop.  My goal is to make gcj-izing a jpackage RPM
>> utterly trivial...

Anthony> hmmm.. what do you mean by "find" in find-compile-db?  I
Anthony> don't think it's safe to simply compile and db-ify any .jar
Anthony> file in your build tree.

I was thinking we would do this in %install, by compiling every jar
(or war or ...) we found in the install tree.  But maybe it is ugly
not to do in %build -- in which case, yeah, we need to do more
manually.

Anthony> The best we might hope for is probably something like...
Anthony> gcj-nativify -build SRC_JARFILE DEST_SO_NAME BUILD_OPTIONS

Anthony> I'm not sure I'd call this utterly trivial.  Is it enough of an
Anthony> improvement over what I suggested earlier?

One thing that is nice about it is we can unpack and compile war files
in the script.  I suppose if we wanted we could also purge non-.class
files from jars here as well, at least until gcj gets an option to do
this.

Anthony> Then we could have another little script to replace:
Anthony> DB=`gcj-dbtool -p %{_libdir}`
Anthony> rm -f $DB
Anthony> gcj-dbtool -n $DB
Anthony> (cd $DB.d; ls . | xargs gcj-dbtool -m $DB $DB)
Anthony> Could these go in java-gcj-compat?  Or maybe as RPM macros?

Yeah, Tom F. offered to put them as scripts in java-gcj-compat.  Let's
do that for the time being.

Tom