[fedora-java] db merging script

Tom Tromey tromey at redhat.com
Fri Mar 25 18:28:48 UTC 2005

>> And when they do, you don't know if those programs will be 32-bit or
>> 64-bit.

Andrew> I don't understand purpose of this comment.  If there's a 32-bit
Andrew> multilib, the user will use -m32 at compile time, and that will link
Andrew> with the 32-bit library.

Jakub was responding to me, since I didn't see how people would end up
using the non-default libgcj.so.  But his point is that some program
may link against it explicitly, or dlopen and use the invocation API.
And so, since we can't predict now which library might be used on a
fully installed system, we have to handle this somehow.

Anthony's gcj-dbtool patch went in, so we can start trying this soon.
(FWIW I also didn't like the idea of having the ABI recorded in the
.db.)

Have we worked everything out now?  We solved the multilib problem,
and there seems to be a consensus on where to put the .so cache.

Tom