[fedora-java] Moving aot-compile-rpm and rebuild-gcj-db out of java-gcj-compat

Gary Benson gbenson at redhat.com
Thu Nov 10 11:26:44 UTC 2005

Andrew Haley wrote:
> David Walluck writes:
> > Also, I thought aot-compile was a good script, but it was done
> > away with. Wouldn't it make sense to bring this back and have a
> > script that didn't rely on rpm, and then have rpm call this script
> > instead? This way, not only other RPM-based distros, but possibly
> > Debian or Ubuntu could even pick it up.
>
> aot-compile-rpm doesn't rely on RPM at all -- it's just REALLY badly
> named!  :-)

Not strictly true. It does have RPM-specific bits, but they're very
very small: 10 lines out of 436.  I spoke to some of the Debian and
Ubuntu guys at DevJam about abstracting it but that's difficult to do
whilst it's alternatives-managed.

Of course, doing this would make rpm a particularly bad home for it.
The obvious place is in gcc itself (and aot-compile-rpm itself could
either go there or in rpm) but that would mean being tied to gcc's
necessarily slow release cycle.

Maybe the solution is having aot-compile-* in its own package.  It
seems overkill though...

Cheers,
Gary