[fedora-java] Release Notes

Karl Trygve Kalleberg karltk at gentoo.org
Tue Nov 29 02:37:24 UTC 2005

Andrew Haley wrote:

>  > > Sun Java 1.5+ is recommended for stability purposes.
>  >
>  > Is this really true?   What about IBM or BEA?  Should we even be
>  > making specific recommendations here?  Perhaps this is best
>  > avoided.

The performance and stability characteristics of the BEA, Sun and IBM
offerings are different, and in my experience it is difficult to hail
one of them as a clear winner.

If you _are_ going to mention vendor-specific offerings, it may be idea
to mention all three, since they are all pretty decent and available on
x86 and x86_64 (IBM has a beta of 1.5 for PPC; BEA works on IA64).

Cheers,

-- Karl T