Fedora docs processing (Was: [fedora-java] batik [Fwd: Re: com.sun.image.*])

Anthony Green green at redhat.com
Fri Oct 21 23:28:00 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-19 at 16:11 -0700, Anthony Green wrote:
> I'm wondering if the simplest solution for the Fedora Docs team is for
> us to strip out Batik's JPEG handling.  Perhaps it's not required for
> their work-flow.

It turns out that it's impossible to simply strip out the JPEG code
because some of the proprietary Sun JPEG APIs are used for more general
non-JPEG tasks.  "Liberating" Batik will take some real effort (I'm
looking for a cheap solution right now - since this is something we want
in the FC5 timeframe).

So, the next option is to look at using FOP without Batik.  If this is
even possible I suppose this means no SVG processing in FOP.  Perhaps
the doc generation work-flow could be tweaked to pre-render the SVG into
some format FOP can handle.  I'll poke at this a little.

AG