[fedora-java] Release Notes

Rudolf Kastl che666 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 13:57:20 UTC 2005

2005/10/24, Gary Benson <gbenson at redhat.com>:
> Anthony Green wrote:
> > The current "Java" content for the release notes (from FC4) are
> > pretty slim.  I'll quote them below with my comments and
> > questions...
> >
> > > Fedora Core 4 users are advised not to use the Java RPM provided
> > > by Sun. It contains Provides that conflict with names used in
> > > packages provided as part of Fedora Core 4. Because of this, Sun
> > > Java might disappear from an installed system during package
> > > upgrade operations.
> >
> > I assume this is still true.  Does anybody have a pointer to the
> > details?
>
> I'd drop the "Because of this..." bit, since there are many other bad
> things that would be tedious to list.

especially the past shows that... extremly dangerous bugs in the web
browser plugin that have been fixed 6 months after their initial
discovery...

> > > Fedora Core 4 users should use either the RPM available from
> > > http://www.jpackage.org/, or manually install the Sun Java tarball
> > > into `/opt/`.
> >
> > I think we should discourage the /opt solution, since it doesn't
> > integrate with out alternatives-based solution.
>
> I wouldn't mention it at all.

Thats probably better in the FAQ anyways. because its an "after
installation issue".

> > Also, I thought there were problems with using the binary RPM from
> > JPackage, and users _have_ to rebuild from the SRPM.  Does anybody
> > know about this?
>
> Users have to fetch the proprietary code themselves, since JPackage
> can't distribute it.

end users dont know how to build rpms... also currently the package
can only be built as root because else rpath freaks out (atleast that
was the case the last time i tried to build it in a user environment)

> > > Sun Java 1.5+ is recommended for stability purposes.
> >
> > Is this really true?  What about IBM or BEA?  Should we even be
> > making specific recommendations here?  Perhaps this is best avoided.
>
> We shouldn't be recommending proprietary stuff IMO.

what most end users really need is a working and secure gcj web
plugin. end users mainly install java in my experience to get web
applets working in their browser.
mindmanager and azureus are more  features going towards "more
beautiful living".