[fedora-java] dependency issues with java-1.4.2-gcj-compat

Gary Benson gbenson at redhat.com
Thu Sep 15 14:12:53 UTC 2005

David Farning wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-09-15 at 13:42 +0100, Gary Benson wrote:
> > David Farning wrote:
> > > When running yum install eclips* I got all sorts of
> > > /usr/bin/rebuild-gcj-db: No such file or directory
> > > errors until I manually installed java-1.4.2*
> >
> > It sounds like rpm is _still_ not ordering dependencies correctly.
> > There should be a bug open against rpm for this, but if not please
> > file one.
>
> I did a bit of searching on this it would seem to be the
> %if %{gcj_support}
> Requires(post):   java-gcj-compat >= 1.0.31
> Requires(postun): java-gcj-compat >= 1.0.31
>
> are causing problem because they don't...wait for it...work!

That's the one.

> Would there be a problem with
>
> %if %{gcj_support}
> Requires: java-gcj-compat >= 1.0.31
>
> ie. would it hurt it -compat were present all the time not just
> during post and unpost?

The Short answer is no, since Requires(*) implies Requires.

The long answer is that Requires on its own is not in force during rpm
transactions.  Augmented Requires(*) dependencies specify that it must
be present at certain points within the transaction _in_addition_to_
inbetween transactions.

Cheers,
Gary

own,