[fedora-java] Re: Fedora Core 5 Wishlist

Chris Hubick chris at hubick.com
Thu Sep 15 16:24:22 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-15 at 14:56 +0100, Gary Benson wrote:
> Ian Pilcher wrote:
> > I believe that there needs to be a clear strategy for the co-existence
> > of Fedora gcj packages and JPackage "pure Java" packages.  The current
> > situation is a mess:
>
> Suggestions welcome :)

Distribute JPackage packages "as is".  For each JPP package shipped in
Fedora, create a corresponding "<jppname>-bin" package containing the
compiled library code.

RPM will know about the "-bin" dependencies, and those can depend on
each other if needed.  One would hope that the binary packages don't
need any specific patches, but if they do, feed them up to JPackage.
Maybe split JPP into not just "Free" and "Non-Free", but also "Free and
works on Free compilers/runtimes".  Work to get upstream projects like
Apache to abstract code with Non-Free dependencies into separate Ant
targets, facilitating the creation of sub-packages for RPM's also
abstracting away Non-Free code.

Eventually work towards automating the binary builds from JPP SRPM's,
with the ultimate goal of having a Yum repository which parallels the
JPackage one, or is even included as part of JPP, containing "-bin"
RPM's for all packages.  Or you could create a whole Fedora specific
Java repository to replace using JPP, and it could suck in the JPP
srpm's, compile, and provide both noarch and arch results.

--
Chris Hubick
mailto:chris at hubick.com
http://www.hubick.com/