[fedora-java] Re: Fedora Core 5 Wishlist

Thomas Fitzsimmons fitzsim at redhat.com
Thu Sep 15 17:27:21 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-15 at 14:56 +0100, Gary Benson wrote:
> Ian Pilcher wrote:
> > Something I think is missing....
> >
> > I believe that there needs to be a clear strategy for the co-existence
> > of Fedora gcj packages and JPackage "pure Java" packages.  The current
> > situation is a mess:
> >
> >   * If the JPackage repos are added to a FC4 yum configuration, yum will
> >     try to overwrite gcj packages with native packages, and vice versa.
> >
> >   * There's no way for a user to know what the effects of this, beyond
> >     performance will be.
> >
> > etc...
>
> Suggestions welcome :)

All we need to do to make this work properly is make sure that the FC4
packages always have versions >= the corresponding JPackage versions.
Then packages that are in JPackage but not in Fedora will be provided by
JPackage and all other packages will come from Fedora.

Our repackaging of JPackages is meant to be 100% compatible with the
source JPackages.  If a given package is not compatible then that's a
bug in that package.  Otherwise Fedora users should always want the
Fedora versions of the packages.

In other words, if our Fedora package versions always match or exceed
their JPackage equivalents then there is no problem with JPackage and
Fedora packages co-existing without a clear boundary between the two
repositories.  I just don't see this as a problem at all.

Tom