[fedora-java] Re: How to setup full-fledged Java development environment under FC5?

Joshua Daniel Franklin jdf.lists at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 17:22:50 UTC 2006

On 4/1/06, Ian Pilcher wrote:
> Andrew Haley wrote:
> > Ian Pilcher writes:
> >  >
> >  > It takes a little work, but it can be done.  For a 100% "real" Java
> >  > environment, you'll first want to remove all the gcj-compiled packages
> >  > from your system.
> >
> > What for?  They will still work.
>
> I think it's more accurate to say that they *should* work.  The OP
> expressed some concern about this.

Depending on what you want to do with them, they do work. The
rebuilt JAR files include all the normal java class files that Sun/IBM/BEA
java need, but also the native stuff for gcj. See, for example:

https://www.zarb.org/pipermail/jpackage-discuss/2005-October/008918.html

So there is no need to remove gcj-compiled packages.

> > Install whatever runtime environment you want via an RPM from
> > jpackage.org and use /usr/sbin/alternatives to switch to it.

This certainly works. What I currently recommend to devs using eclipse
here is to download the latest eclipse and run it from their home directory
(so if you might remove the gcj native ecplise so /usr/bin/eclipse doesn't
confuse them, but that's optional). I recommend that because eclipse is
still somewhat picky about where it finds things, and if (for example) a dev
installs the WTP plugin, eclipse is going to download everything to their
home directory anyway. In this sense the /usr/share/java/ jars don't "work"
but that's not JPackage or Fedora's fault, it's an Eclipse platform decision.
Someday it might get all smoothed out.