[fedora-java] Hello and SVN subclipse plugin

Ben Konrath bkonrath at redhat.com
Thu Apr 20 23:16:26 UTC 2006

Hi Robert,

On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 16:11 -0400, Robert Marcano wrote:
> Hello everyone on the list.. I have been working on packaging subclipse,
> the Eclipse Subversion plugin in order to add it to Fedora Extras.
<snip>

That's great! I was planning to look into packaging subclipse tomorrow,
but it seems you have a head start on me :)

I don't know off hand why your getting that error, but I do have few
questions about your general build procedure: First, do you have
instructions for generating those source tarballs? Andrew Overholt and I
have been putting instructions for generating these in the comments of
the spec file. We're hoping that we will be able to share these
instructions with other distros and documenting these steps allows
others to reproduce the tarball easily.

Next, would you consider using the build procedure outlined here?:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-java-list/2006-January/msg00060.html

This would eliminate the need to generate the build.xml's with Eclipse
and then add them in as a patch. For small projects, this is not a big
deal, but it would get annoying for larger features or if you had to do
a lot of packaging. Generating a source tarball would then be a simple
as checking out the correct tag from cvs, deleting any jars and
compressing it up. Long term I'd like to get the upstream projects to
use Eclipse to export source drops that are compatible with this plugin
builder when they spin a release. This would avoid problem with projects
that don't properly tag cvs.

The plugin builder is not quite ready yet. My plan is to fix the last
few problems tomorrow and whip up some test rpms early next week. I'll
probably start with what you posted if that's ok. If you IRC, I hang out
on freenode in #fodora-java and my nick is scsibear.

Anyway, I hope we can work together on getting this into Extras. I know
the there are a lot of people waiting for this plugin to get packaged
up.

Cheers, Ben