[fedora-java] Enviroment Variables

Ryan Ollerenshaw ryanollerenshaw at gmail.com
Sun Aug 6 07:40:15 UTC 2006

I can write a shell script that will set an enviroment variable using
the export command, but then when i try and print the variable after
the shell scrit has been run the variable is no longer set.  Why is
this?  my problem is that i need to set some enviroment variables in a
shell script that is run when my tomcat server is started, but after
the startup script runs the variables are no longer set.  Here is what
i am using in my scripts:

export CLASSPATH=/usr/root/
echo $CLASSPATH

but then when i do a echo $CLASSPATH from the command line the
original value is printed and not the one set in the shell script.

any help would be great.