[fedora-java] F7 plan (gcj/java/eclipse/swt/java-gnome/fop/batik/etc)

Mark Wielaard mark at klomp.org
Fri Dec 29 22:57:04 UTC 2006

Hi Tom,

On Fri, 2006-12-29 at 13:09 -0700, Tom Tromey wrote:

> Mark> - January 23 - Test1 Development Freeze
>
> Ok...
>
> Mark> - 1.5 language & library support in gcj
> Mark>   This seems to be the biggest and most intrusive upgrade. But starting
> Mark>   this early seems like a very good idea. Upstream is cleaning up some
> Mark>   last issues. And it needs lots of testing. Would be good if something
> Mark>   can be cooked up for Test1. Needs help from gcc-toolchain people.
>
> Yeah... do we know what base compiler is being used for FC7?
> We'll probably have to back-port all the 1.5 stuff to that.
> Kinda tough before the 23rd considering that we haven't merged it all
> to GCC mainline yet :(

I have CCed Jakub. If there is a fedora branch in gcc svn then maybe
porting/patching can be done at the same time as it lands on mainline?

> Mark> - Separate libgcj-rpm.
>
> This is suspended pending the core/extras merge.

O, that is a pity. Any idea what/how long that will take?

> Mark> - java-gcj-compat
> Mark>   (Do we also need updates for javap and javah replacements?)
>
> We don't have javap at all, do we?  But we do have jcf-dump, which has
> not changed during all the 1.5 work.

You are right. Strange, since jcf-dump has a --javap mode I assumed it
would be the natural wrapper for java-gcj-compat to provide javap.

> The new javah that is in Classpath will show up when we merge the
> gcj-eclipse branch to trunk.

Will this replace gcjh?

Cheers,

Mark