[fedora-java] Re: FC5 release notes for java

Gary Benson gbenson at redhat.com
Wed Feb 1 08:53:28 UTC 2006

Chris Hubick wrote:
> So although Fedora recommends the use of JPackage for installing
> alternate Java Runtime Environments...

It's designed to _allow_ the use of alternative JREs from JPackage
but I wouldn't say it _recommends_ it.  As far as I'm concerned
Fedora recommends using the Free Software runtime and development
environment and working with us to fix any bugs or deficiencies you
find.

> ...there is a good chance unmodified JPackage applications will
> not work with the default Runtime Environment shipped with Fedora.

There is also a good chance that unmodified JPackage applications
will work just fine. GCJ 4.1's lazy loading and the fast improving
Swing implementation mean that it is rapidly becoming the case that
the only applications that will not work are those that use
undocumented and unsupported calls to Sun-specific classes.

Cheers,
Gary