[fedora-java] freeing FOP

Thomas Fitzsimmons fitzsim at redhat.com
Wed Feb 22 05:45:59 UTC 2006

Hi,

I finished building FOP and its dependencies on the free Java stack.  To
pare the dependency tree I built Batik without Rhino support.  If such a
feature-limited Batik is acceptable in Fedora Extras then we'll only
need to add about five new packages, rather than the ~80 packages we'd
need for a Rhino-enabled Batik.

Batik 1.6 also has dependencies on com.sun classes in its JPEG- and
TIFF-encoding code.  These dependencies have been removed in Batik CVS
but for now I've disabled JPEG- and TIFF- output in my test RPM.

Unfortunately, FOP has two non-free dependencies, neither of which has a
free drop-in replacement.  These are Jimi and JAI, both image-handling
frameworks.  From the FOP error output it seems that JAI is the
preferred framework with Jimi providing a fallback.  It may be possible
to provide a second fallback that uses the standard ImageIO framework
which is implemented in the free stack, but that will require upstream
changes.  For now free FOP cannot handle images.

To test my FOP RPM I ran build-hig-pdf.sh from the GNOME Human Interface
Guidelines CVS repository.  I've attached a log of the console output
and the generated PDF.  A GCJ bug is preventing the compilation of FOP's
hyphenation patterns which explains why FOP can't find them.  I'll file
a bug for this shortly.

Perhaps the documentation team can review the attached PDF?  Shall I go
ahead and propose FOP and its dependencies for Fedora Extras inclusion,
even though it currently lacks image support?  I'm wondering if that
would be a good way for the docs team to track my progress and offer
feedback.  Obviously until the image support issues are resolved the
packages will have to be considered preview-quality.

Tom